On two previous occasions, the residents of East Corning Area tried unsuccessfully to secure fire protection for their area. Then in 1960 it became a reality. The initial meeting took place on July 23rd, 1959, at the East Corning School. The first elected officers were: President- Stephen T. Butchko: Vice President- Wallace Stonier; Second Vice President- Myron Decker and Secretary- Treasurer- Harold Tobey.
Originally, It was planned that East Corning Fire Protection District would cover all of the unprotected areas of the Town of Corning by contracting with a host of other departments. However, due to reluctance on the part of residents outside the immediate East Corning Area, That plan was defeated. Subsequently, Plans were initiated to develop a fire protection district that focused on the East Corning Area. Louis Nessle was retained as an attorney for the department. After much petitioning and many meetings and hearings. Letters were circulated among residents of east corning for their opinions on the matter. Of the total residents contacted, 99.6% favored the formation of a fire protection district for the community of East Corning.
Shortly thereafter, an old schoolhouse and adjacent land on east Corning road was purchased from Ray Rhinehart. Under the direction of building chairman, Edward Fassett, and with the cooperation of many members of the department, a three bay garage was constructed to house a new fire truck that the department had purchased from the American fire apparatus company of Battle Creek Michigan. It also became home to a water tanker that was created by members of the department who mounted an 875-gallon water tanker on an old milk truck with a 1950 international chassis that had also been purchased from Ray Rhinehart.
Within a brief period of time, the department had 27 members who had completed 15 weeks of fire training. Six members also completed pump operator school.
Honorable mention also belongs to the wives and families of the early members who contributed to the success of the department. Many home projects were neglected or postponed indefinitely do the firehouse could be built, trucks and equipment could be obtained and all could be kept in “top notch” condition so the at the department could provide exceptional fire protection for all the residents of the East Corning community.